“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
-Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
OIR generally follows the process outlined under “Process Overview.” Please note, however, that Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity. Title IX’s implementing regulations require campuses to take specific steps when responding to reports of possible sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and/or domestic violence, stalking, gender-based harassment, or discrimination based on pregnancy or parenting status. The Office of Title IX (OTIX) is responsible for campus Title IX compliance, and OIR and OTIX work together to ensure that the university appropriately receives, responds to, and resolves reports of possible discrimination based on sex in accordance with the campus’ Policy on Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Dating and Domestic Violence, and Stalking.
Please visit titleix.utk.edu to:
- connect with the campus Title IX Coordinator,
- learn about options for reporting possible discrimination based on sex in a university education program or activity,
- find resources for care, safety, and support,
- download a copy of the campus Policy on Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Dating and Domestic Violence, and Stalking, or
- read more about the university’s Title IX Commitment.